[Gta04-owner] Battery removal with USB plugged in

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 19:58:17 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Gilles Filippini
<gilles.filippini at free.fr> wrote:
> I've tried removing the battery with the GTA04 connected to my box by
> USB. It works correctly up to the PIN code step, but it instantly goes
> off afterward.
>
> Is this expected? It used to work fine with GTA02.

This is caused by the modem which needs a lot of current while sending
data. This is needed only for a short amount of time but these spikes
cause the voltage to drop enough for the phone to switch off. The
battery can deliver such currents, the long USB cable can't. I'm not
sure why it worked on the GTA02. Probably the modem is less power
hungry and/or the modem's power supply has lots of big capacitors to
buffer the power rail.

Best regards,
  Christoph