[Gta04-owner] New SD card setup

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sat Sep 22 11:13:47 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I'm about to setup a new SD card and am wondering about the detail of
the partitioning instructions.

The README at http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/GTA04/ says:

> * You need specially partitioned SD card. The partitioning is described
>   here: http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/LinuxBootDiskFormat

and that beagleboard link includes a section called "Set the Geometry of
the SD Card".

My question is whether that section really matters, and if so why.
IIRC, I followed it when setting up my last SD card, but then I found -
when printing the partition record again - that all those changes hadn't
stuck.  I.e. the numbers of heads, cylinders etc. had reverted back to
what they were initially.

Can someone explain whether and why those instructions are needed?

Thanks,
        Neil