[Gta04-owner] [QtMoko] no sound during call (GTA04a3, QtMv48)

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Sun Oct 7 22:29:47 CEST 2012

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 13:17:43 +0200 Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:

> > When a call is started, none of the choices "Earpiece" or "Speaker" is
> > selected. If I use alsactl to switch to the earpiece-state, there's an
> > error in the log saying that's not possible:
> > Oct  6 01:07:13 neo kernel: [ 1157.022979] twl4030-codec twl4030-codec:
> > operation mode cannot be changed on-the-fly
>
> I am not sure what this means, but i already saw it too. Maybe wrong alsa
> state or that the device is already open by some app.

The twl4030 audio codec has 2 operation modes.
In one the PCM (digital) connections to the bluetooth and Modem are
disabled.  In the other they are enabled.
The first is sometimes described as "multimedia player" mode while the
seconds is "voice" mode.  I think you a limited to lower sample rates in
voice mode.

You cannot switch modes while the device is active.  i.e. nothing can have
the device open to play or record.

This error just tells you that it cannot switch mode.  It shouldn't stop
other settings from being applied.

On the A3 you should never need to switch modes (unless you are playing with
using the PCM path to get sound to/from the bluetooth).
On the A4 you need to either leave it in the second mode (which probably
wastes power, and probably forces low data rates) or switch on the second mode
at some safe point - maybe between stopping the ring and answering the call,
or maybe before making the phone ring.

NeilBrown