[Gta04-owner] [QtMoko] no sound during call (GTA04a3, QtMv48)

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sun Oct 7 12:44:07 CEST 2012

Hi there,

I'm not sure I have any immediate help for you, but thought it worth
noting my experience with A3 sound...

I'm using v48 plus a few of my own pending patches.

Boudewijn <wankelwankel at yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi list,
>

> I'm still trying to get sound one or the other way during a call. Things
> actually degraded over time: at first I only did not have sound from QtMoko to
> the other phone, but by now I can't hear the other side either.

I usually have sound both ways in calls.  On outgoing calls, sometimes I
don't seem to have any inbound audio - i.e. I don't hear any ringtone for
the phone I'm calling.  In those cases I hang up and dial again, and
usually find that audio is then working fine.

I think my only relevant patch, since v48, is
https://github.com/radekp/qtmoko/commit/d69cb787a1f09e92fa0a070546fcd1d21e9f5e22.
I don't think the lack of that would cause the symptoms you're seeing,
but you might want to try it just to make sure.

By the way, do you have the second revision of v48, with the bad DTMF
fix reverted?  Obviously, if you're using the original v48, all bets are
off for anything that involves the modem.

> I have trouble recording any sound. Switching alsa states sometimes generates a
> pulse (you'll probably know what I mean; the sound as a fly flying into the
> window: PTZzzz). (Not sure its related: using voicenotes there is nothing at
> all. Not even silence: starting a record creates a file of 44 bytes, and
> nothing more.)

I think voice notes are flaky for me too.

> When a call is started, none of the choices "Earpiece" or "Speaker" is
> selected. If I use alsactl to switch to the earpiece-state, there's an error in
> the log saying that's not possible:
>
> Oct 6 01:07:13 neo kernel: [ 1157.022979] twl4030-codec twl4030-codec:
> operation mode cannot be changed on-the-fly

I have occurrences of that in my logs too.  It appears always to occur
in this combination:

Oct  6 16:55:09 neo kernel: [13816.386840] twl4030-codec twl4030-codec: operation mode cannot be changed on-the-fly
Oct  6 16:55:09 neo Qtopia: alsactl returned  "alsactl: set_control:1388: Cannot write control '2:0:0:Codec Operation Mode:0' : Device or resource busy
Oct  6 16:55:09 neo Qtopia: " , running kill-snd-card-users.sh
Oct  6 16:55:10 neo Qtopia: killing 1652

> root at neo:/var/log# tail -f /var/log/syslog
[...]

I'll try capturing a log with the same categories, and compare with
yours.  That probably won't be for a day or two, though.

Regards,
        Neil