[Gta04-owner] [hwvalidation] cpu at 100% on boot (multiboot)

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 16:15:02 CEST 2012

Thanks Neil and Nikolaus,

On Saturday 06 October 2012 11:17:43 Neil Jerram wrote:
> "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:
> > I remember that we ran into this problem when bringing up the first GTA04
> > boards. If I remember correctly, it has something to do with the X
> > server's input devices.
> > So the xorg.conf has been modified to ensure that the touch screen is
> > seen only once in the list of Xinput drivers.
> > Otherwise something in the X-Server goes into a busy waiting loop.
>
> You can look for AutoAddDevices on this page, for some more discussion:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.smartphones.kernel/45
>
> (Assuming it's the same issue, which I guess that it is.)

I compared the xorg.conf of the HW validation distro with that of SHR. Both
got Option "AutoAddDevices" "false", as was Neils case in the referred
discussion. There are some differences in the inputdevice section, of which
I'm not sure whether they're different valid options, or changes due to
changes in the kernel: different driver (SHR evdev, HWval tslib) different
devices (event0 vs event1) and SHR inverted Y while HWval is rotated:

cat /media/shr/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Touchscreen"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Driver          "evdev"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/event0"
        Option          "Width"         "480"
        Option          "Height"        "640"
        Option          "Calibration" "250 3850 300 3750"
        Option          "InvertY" "1"
EndSection

cat /media/hwval/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Touchscreen"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Driver          "tslib"
        Option          "TslibDevice"   "/dev/input/event1"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/event1"
        Option          "Width"         "480"
        Option          "Height"        "640"
        Option          "Rotate"        "cw"
EndSection

That's it for SHR, HWval continues explicitly disabling mice, and adding input
devices.

To give it a try, I used SHR's xorg.conf for the HWval distribution. There is
a small change in behaviour: there's a spike in CPU load, which dwindles
quickly. After that no interaction is possible via the touchscreen or USB
network (just as little USB output on my laptop as with the other xorg.conf.
so it the lack of USB does not seem related to CPU, but maybe kernel modules)

I'll give copying the correct uImage to HWval's /boot a try..

Thanks so far, I'll give an update later on.

Best regards,

Boudewijn