[Gta04-owner] "boot to AUX-Menu" - QtMoko v49

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Nov 20 14:29:57 CET 2012

> Am 20.11.2012 um 11:32 schrieb Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller:
>
>> Hi Radek,

>>> I have finally managed to flash the new bootloader and i have to say i like it
>>> very much. Good work! Now i am working on the gta04-init changes.
>>>
>>> I have one question - would it be possible to trigger displaying the bootmenu
>>> e.g. when some file exists?
>>>
>>> Currently QtMoko has option "Reboot to bootmenu", it would be nice if it could
>>> reboot the phone to the uboot menu. It's not critical, just asking if there is
>>> simple way to implement it then it would be nice...
>>
>> Hm. U-Boot can check for existence of files and can read them, but it can't
>> delete it after a single use.
>>
>> I think that should be done or otherwise it will be difficult to boot without
>> menu if anything did go wrong.
>>
>> Another option would be to set a flag in the u-boot environment. The
>> Linux kernel can mount it but I don't know if there is a debian tool to
>> manipulate it easily. I.e. a "set-uboot-env name value && save-uboot-env".
>
> Yes, it appears to be possible through
>
> <http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/uboot-envtools>

I have modified the boot.scr to recognize a "forcemenu" environment variable.

Installation and use:

1. flash the new bootloader system through the hw-validation image on a separate SD
<http://www.openphoenux.org/swi/showdetail.php?app=19>
2. on your Debian/Linux: apt-get install uboot-envtools
3. install this config file to /etc/fw_env.config
<http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-rootfs.git;a=blob;f=debian/config/etc/fw_env.config;hb=HEAD>
4. fw_setenv "forcemenu" "yes"
5. reboot
6. the AUX menu (http://www.openphoenux.org/swi/screenshots/00017_1.jpg) will appear

On the next reboot/power on the menu will not automatically appear
again because the flag ("forcemenu") is deleted after being used once.