[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v49

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Mon Nov 19 21:54:26 CET 2012

"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:

> But I think others should also state their opinions if they need the gta04-init
> features as part of QtMoko or a separate tool and how it should work.

I'd just say that I don't like any solution that involves having to
press AUX within certain precise time ranges without any explicit
prompting about that on the screen.

It sounds to me like Nikolaus's and Radek's schemes both have important
merits, so I hope we can get the best of both of them!  In particular:

1. it's very much desirable - for the sanity of this mailing list - if
   GTA04s can be set up with an initial system that is almost impossible
   to mess up

2. it will be a really nice feature to have multiple distributions
   installed and to boot easily between them.

For (2), the current gta04-init scheme is nice but I'm not sure it's
what people would expect.  Probably people are more familiar with
selecting the OS that they want when they boot up, as that is what
happens on laptops and desktops.  Also it is QtMoko-specific, and so
analogous work would be needed in all other distributions, if that was
our preferred booting design.  Whereas surely a bootloader-based
solution would only need implementing once?

What seems natural to me would be:

- Always use the bootloader in NAND.  (Except for whatever we might need
  for recovery from that becoming corrupt.)

- Choice 1: NAND kernel + NAND rootfs.

- Choice 2..N: Each partition on the SD card that has /boot/uImage* and
  a recognised rootfs type.

- Bootloader should present those choices in a menu and use AUX/Power to
  cycle through them.  Boots if no movement for 5s.  Remembers and
  defaults to whichever choice was booted last time.

- Bonus: Allow each partition to specify its title and icon by files in /boot.

(I can't see that NAND kernel + SD rootfs would ever make sense.)

(OK, I guess that wasn't "just" after all...)

Regards,
        Neil