[Gta04-owner] [Community] OpenPhoenux Prototype of GTA04 based7 inch tablet

joakim at verona.se joakim at verona.se
Thu Nov 8 09:55:18 CET 2012

"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:

> Am 07.11.2012 um 20:42 schrieb Flemming Richter Mikkelsen:
>
>> Since the display is so demanding, maybe a hardware display power
>> switch is in order?  That way one can boot without the display on.
>
> Or we could simply dim the backlight by software. But it does not solve
> the fundamental problem that the device will drain the battery even if
> connected to a power supply while being used.
>
> I think nobody would expect that it should be switched off/dimmed
> during charging and has limited operation time even if connected
> to the power supply. I.e. it does not work in picture frame mode...

This doesnt really solve the problem at hand, but its related.

I had a laptop that the screen back lighting broke down on. The laptop
was otherwise fully usable.

Instead of throwing away the laptop, I separated the backlighting from
the screen, and removed the cover. The screen then becomes transparent
enough so you can backlight it with ordinary sunlight outside.

It was quite usable, and was even superiour when working outside. Also
the power consumption was less since theres no back lighting at all.

You can do the same with an ordinary desktop screen, but the screen
controller board might get in the way.

Anyway, maybe this idea can spark some other more usable idea in the
current context.

--
Joakim Verona