[Gta04-owner] Host AP mode

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Thu May 31 12:57:23 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, 31 May 2012 19:05:48 +1000
NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 31 May 2012 09:28:58 +0200 Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info> writes:
> >
> > > Basically send something bigger over the network, exclude as much possible
> > > bottlenecks as possible.
> >
> > I downloaded Radek's video onto my laptop, then used scp to transfer
> > onto the phone over Wifi and USB.
> >
> > Over Wifi:
> >
> > neil at neil-laptop:~/Downloads$ scp impossible_is_nothing2.mp4 root at 192.168.24.104:/media/card/
> > impossible_is_nothing2.mp4                    100%   18MB 113.3KB/s   02:45
> >
> > scp initially reported the transfer speed as around 2Mb/s, but then it
> > dropped steadily until settling at around 100Kb/s.
> >
> > Over USB:
> >
> > neil at neil-laptop:~/Downloads$ scp impossible_is_nothing2.mp4 root at 192.168.0.202:/media/card/
> > impossible_is_nothing2.mp4                    100%   18MB   3.0MB/s   00:06
> >
> > Does that help?
>
> I think the key thing to be looking at is
>   iwconfig wlan0 | grep Rate
>
> I always see 5.5 Mb/s with 3.4 and much higher numbers with the hw-validation
> kernel.  Given that, the actual throughput becomes rather uninteresting.

I guess, looking at the actual throughput is also important.
The libertastf driver gives sane rate behaviour but the actual throughput is
constant low.
I have seen higher rates in iwconfig with the libertas driver when connecting
to a ralink usb stick configured as ap when I played a bit with the hostapd.conf
there. I do not remember exactly what I have done, but throughput did not
increase.
I played a bit with the supported mode (b or g) and the rate settings.

So it is really important to look at both. But anyways, I will report that
issue to the wireless guys you proposed in an earlier mail.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade