[Gta04-owner] How to bring forward the community?

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:38:25 CET 2012

Hi Joerg,

Warning: the following answer is not based on facts I know. Just a few thoughts.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Joerg Eesmann <jeesmann at gmx.de> wrote:
> But GTA04 is OMAP3 based, and OMAP3 has a DSP on board. In the
> beagleboard, there was a SW-component called DSP-bridge, and when I
> recall correctly the DSP can be directly be fed with McBSP data. So if
> the McBSP routing to and from the DSP would be possible, the DSP could
> do the echo canceling and any possible sound shaping.

If it's possible on the beagle board, the GTA04 can do it too.

> So there are some questions:
> Is the DSP activated in the Kernel for GTA04?

I saw a mailbox.ko kernel module but probably a few other components
from TI are necessary to get it working.

> Is the routing of the McBSP-data to and from the DSP possible?

Probably yes, but I could immagine that it will be a real mess to
integrate this into the kernel/alsa stack.

> I guess the main CPU could sleep during call, leaving the rest to the
> DSP.
> Would this idea be feasible?

The CPU won't sleep completely but should enter a low power state when
there is nothing else to do.

> I would love to work on this, if I find the time (I have some experience
> with signal processing and programming DSPs, but no speech processing),
> but I doubt I could do it alone.
> I could do my tests on a beagleboard (with GTA04/Hybrid), which I
> already have.

Would be great If you could get the DSP working somehow!

Christoph