[Gta04-owner] Modem crashing?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Feb 18 12:04:34 CET 2012

Hi Bob,

Am 18.02.2012 um 10:07 schrieb Bob Ham:

> On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 10:33 +0100, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
>> While we can suspect that it could be possible to upgrade firmware, this is beyond
>> our current capabilities. First of all, we don't know how a firmware upgrade
>> can be done and if it is succesful and/or introduces other bugs that we
>> find out only after we have done the upgrade. Then we may have to repeat.
>> And our users will have different firmware versions installed and the middleware
>
>> Therefore, it is IMHO wasted time to think about such changes or upgrades.
>> It is much easier to see that we have a bug (and everyone has the same one.
>> Which simplifies our life) and find a workaround in our software.
>
> I believe the choice of upgrading the firmware should be the user's.  It
> doesn't seem right for those who are do not wish to deal with increased
> complexity, to restrict those who wish to upgrade their firmware for
> increased battery life.

Yes, this is our goal.

> Will OPTION provide information on upgrading the firmware to we
> consumers or will they only deal with manufacturers, i.e. Golden
> Delicious?

I have to find out. And the situation is even more complex. Since
we are a really small customer for them, all communication goes
through a (helpful) distributor. But it slows down everything and
we don't get updates and information at highest priority. So
OPTION will definitively not work directly with individuals/consumers.

Just a small calculation for getting a grasp of how OPTION must see us:
we have so far bought 180 modules and plan another 350 for the group
tour. If they earn 10 EUR per module (which may even be estimated
high - compare to the street price of a UMTS stick), they have earned
1800 EUR and maybe earn 3500 EUR. How much support can they
give us to get this earning?

This are non-technical barriers to reach our goal.

But we are already in a better situation than with anti-vendor ports
where we have zero information about the modem and nobody
to discuss with.

Well, the solution is to come into the 10k range of buying modules.
This will open doors that are currently closed...

Therefore we need success with the group tour!

Nikolaus Schaller