[Gta04-owner] GTA04 thermal imaging

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Wed Feb 15 03:01:12 CET 2012

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 20:43:36 +0100 Christoph Mair <christoph.mair at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> last weekend I could capture a few thermal images from my phoenux. I
> have not reviewed them in great detail yet, mostly due to lack of
> time. If you want to do you own guesswork, here are the pictures:
> http://www.chonyota.net/gta04/infrared/
>
> The first directory (20120212) contains images captured at different
> software states. Mostly running (booting up) and a few in suspend. You
> can easily identify the suspended state by looking for images with low
> overall heat dissipation and just the RS232 interface consuming lots
> of current (its the chip in the top right corner). I also did a shot
> without serial connection (not so easy to identify because I only
> detached the cable from the USB-RS232 converter)
>
> The second directory (20120213) contains a picture which was made
> while suspended on the evening of sunday. The next pictures were made
> on monday morning while waking the device from standby by connecting
> the serial line.
>
> In general, look at the timestamp, then you might figure out why the
> head dissipation could have changed so much (or why not).
>
> Till now I did not find some serious issues during suspend. I just
> observed that even if my WiFi was switched off, its level shifter uses
> some current with a periodically recurring pattern.
>
> If you have questions or comments, please write them to this list. If
> you have suggestions or maybe a ready-to-execute thermal test plan,
> please let me know. I'll try to rent the camera once again. Its just
> too much fun to play with it, unfortunately I was quite busy during
> the last weekend and didn't have time to use it a lot. I'm planning to
> capture some live videos if I manage to get a S-Video framegrabber in
> time. That will be fun :)

Wow! Thanks for doing this.  It is interesting that the internal usb
interface and the RS-232 interface stand out so much.  And neat to see
different parts of the WIFI/BT chip heating up at different times.

Does just unplugging the RS-232 cable reduce power drain in suspend?  That
would be good.

Thanks,
NeilBrown