[Gta04-owner] Marvell 8388 Wi-Fi chip free firmware (was Re: Status GTA04 EA)

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Sun Feb 12 13:27:08 CET 2012

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 10:56 +0100, Bob Ham wrote:

> I emailed Ed Cherlin and then Chris Ball, listed on this page
>
>   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Marvell_microkernel
>
> as being involved in the free firmware effort.  I asked what the status
> was, whether development of a replacement firmware started and if it
> did, why it stopped.  Alas, neither replied.

[ This is a very delayed report. ]

I emailed a number of other people on that page as well.  Michael
Bletsas told me that Marvell developed an extendible firmware that had a
plugin API and SDK to develop code that would run on the baseband
processor under the Xthreads microkernel.  Of course, that doesn't
equate to a free firmware.  But I don't think it matters too much
because he also told me that his guess was Marvell would have moved on
when OPLC abandoned the 8388.

I presume the lack of activity on the free firmware project is also due
to OPLC's abandonment of the 8388.

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }