[Gta04-owner] Gta04-owner Digest, Vol 14, Issue 27

Jack Jones sanctuarys3172 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 11 22:39:57 CET 2012


lewis ,,there has to be demand before some clever businessman runs with a fully finished linux phone i presume in the future(things take very long to come to fruition in the computer ideas world) someone  might run wit this idea but maybe in 5 years from now at the earliest,,for now golden delicious is our only option.


________________________________
 From: lewis schmidt <lewis.schmidt at gmail.com>
To: gta04-owner at goldelico.com 
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Gta04-owner] Gta04-owner Digest, Vol 14, Issue 27
 

Golden Delicious Community.

I would like to replace my android device with a fully accessible linux phone. 

The site for purchase, although meticulous, does not give me a comprehensive understanding of what i'm purchasing.  I'm not looking to do bench top engineering or fabrication, I want a complete product.  I'm good with a serial connection and a device I can use.

What is the best way you all can recommend I purchase an OpenMoko Gta04 device.  everything in one purchase.  the case, the screen, board, usb charger.  the whole tamale.

I know this isn't the appropriate forum but as a consumer, potential contributor and ardent reader of this listserv figured you all would have the best advice.

Thankyou, 

Lewis




On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM, <gta04-owner-request at goldelico.com> wrote:

Send Gta04-owner mailing list submissions to
>       gta04-owner at goldelico.com
>
>To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>       http://lists.goldelico.com/mailman/listinfo/gta04-owner
>or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>       gta04-owner-request at goldelico.com
>
>You can reach the person managing the list at
>       gta04-owner-owner at goldelico.com
>
>When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>than "Re: Contents of Gta04-owner digest..."
>
>
>Today's Topics:
>
>  1. Re: Some questions about the GTA04A4 (Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli)
>  2. Re: Some questions about the GTA04A4 (Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli)
>  3. Re: Some questions about the GTA04A4 (Jonathan Wilson)
>  4. Re: Some questions about the GTA04A4 (Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli)
>  5. Re: Antwort: Re: Amazing adventures with a brandnew       GTA04...
>     (Christoph Mair)
>  6. Re: Some questions about the GTA04A4 (Jack Jones)
>  7. Re: Some questions about the GTA04A4 (Christoph Mair)
>  8. Re: Some questions about the GTA04A4 (Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller)
>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Message: 1
>Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 17:02:16 +0100
>From: "Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli" <GNUtoo at no-log.org>
>To: gta04-owner at goldelico.com
>Subject: Re: [Gta04-owner] Some questions about the GTA04A4
>Message-ID: <201202111702.16250.GNUtoo at no-log.org>
>Content-Type: Text/Plain;  charset="us-ascii"
>
>>Will the GTA04A4 really be the worlds first 3G smartphone that requires NO
>>binary-only code running on the main Linux side for full functioning of the
>>hardware?
>it doesn't require such thing:
>*The non-free wifi firmware runs on the wifi chip
>*The non-free 3d driver is optional: it's not needed.
>xf86-video-omapfb should supports xv acceleration(you need to install an xorg
>extension in SHR to make it work).
>In SHR which uses enlightenment, software compositing is even possible thanks
>to the 24 or 32 bit framebuffer.
>
>Denis.
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 17:08:41 +0100
>From: "Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli" <GNUtoo at no-log.org>
>To: List for communicating with real GTA04 owners
>       <gta04-owner at goldelico.com>
>Subject: Re: [Gta04-owner] Some questions about the GTA04A4
>Message-ID: <201202111708.41448.GNUtoo at no-log.org>
>Content-Type: Text/Plain;  charset="us-ascii"
>
>btw I'm not even shure that we have the non-free 3d working.
>Without it it works just fine(you just won't be able to play games relying on
>heavy 3d acceleration such as quake3).
>(other games like battle for wesnoth, pingus, prboom etc...will work just fine
>without 3d acceleration, I've to port the recipes from openembedded-classic
>and test them tough(for instance I suspect that wesnoth need to be adapted to
>the screen resolution nowadays(with modification of the GUI in WML(a bit like
>xml but for wesnoth)) , it used to work on freerunner in the past).
>
>Denis.
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 3
>Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 00:25:38 +0800
>From: Jonathan Wilson <jfwfreo at tpgi.com.au>
>To: List for communicating with real GTA04 owners
>       <gta04-owner at goldelico.com>
>Subject: Re: [Gta04-owner] Some questions about the GTA04A4
>Message-ID: <4F369682.4040205 at tpgi.com.au>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
>So its possible to get 100% working display stuff without using a single
>closed-source library if you dont need 3D? If so, that's probably more open
>than other PowerVR devices I have seen like the Nokia N900 where
>closed-libraries are required even for 2D (libraries like libpvr2d.so and
>libsrv_um.so)
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 4
>Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 19:58:53 +0100
>From: "Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli" <GNUtoo at no-log.org>
>To: List for communicating with real GTA04 owners
>       <gta04-owner at goldelico.com>
>Subject: Re: [Gta04-owner] Some questions about the GTA04A4
>Message-ID: <201202111958.53187.GNUtoo at no-log.org>
>Content-Type: Text/Plain;  charset="us-ascii"
>
>>So its possible to get 100% working display stuff without using a single
>>closed-source library if you dont need 3D?
>right.
>
>>If so, that's probably more open
>>than other PowerVR devices I have seen like the Nokia N900 where
>>closed-libraries are required even for 2D (libraries like libpvr2d.so and
>>libsrv_um.so)
>I wouldn't say they are required, on SHR they are not required.
>
>however the n900 is very badly supported in SHR(no one works on it, I could
>work on it but I think the gta04 is more important...so I work on gta02 and
>gta04 currently).
>also the n900 has:
> * a non-free signed bootloader
> * a working GPS is attached to the modem.
>
>Denis.
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 5
>Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 20:06:30 +0100
>From: Christoph Mair <christoph.mair at gmail.com>
>To: List for communicating with real GTA04 owners
>       <gta04-owner at goldelico.com>
>Subject: Re: [Gta04-owner] Antwort: Re: Amazing adventures with a
>       brandnew        GTA04...
>Message-ID:
>       <CAHvJMeENDvGS-AR4s1=8Gk5zkYrOMRe_s0ZFasKp-h8fq9Nubg at mail.gmail.com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
>On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Thomas Gst?dtner <thomas at gstaedtner.net> wrote:
>> Yes, SIMs are only used for identification, as the name suggests.
>> In theory you don't need a SIM at all, and in many countries the
>> providers allow phones to be used without SIMs - usually for emergency
>> calls only.
>> As providers usually allow you to use any device, they need the SIM
>> registration to make sure they charge the correct party.
>> The behavior that you can switch and it will work for a moment is
>> unusual and likely modem and provider dependent.
>> Checking the SIM is the modems job, and if it does not notice the SIM
>> is missing and cache the relevant data on the SIM, there is no reason
>> why it would not work for a while. The network itself does not care,
>> the modem identified you and it is its job to answer.
>>
>> It would be Interesting if the behavior is the same if you don't
>> switch from A to B but from B to A instead.
>
>To exactly find out when the modem accesses the SIM you could use
>SIMtrace: http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/SIMtrace
>
>Christoph
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 6
>Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 11:10:44 -0800 (PST)
>From: Jack Jones <sanctuarys3172 at yahoo.com>
>To: List for communicating with real GTA04 owners
>       <gta04-owner at goldelico.com>
>Subject: Re: [Gta04-owner] Some questions about the GTA04A4
>Message-ID:
>       <1328987444.4439.YahooMailNeo at web120301.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>just to clarify folks--when coming to the formatting of the sd card the final stages:Isthe command[ mkfs.msdos -F  32 /dev//sdd1 -n
>                                  or:    mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sdd1
>
>or are these commands the same,,i notice there  is no vfat    filesystem in the partition table---can you advise me here?
>
>
>________________________________
> From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo at no-log.org>
>To: List for communicating with real GTA04 owners <gta04-owner at goldelico.com>
>Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2012 6:58 PM
>Subject: Re: [Gta04-owner] Some questions about the GTA04A4
>
>>So its possible to get 100% working display stuff without using a single
>>closed-source library if you dont need 3D?
>right.
>
>>If so, that's probably more open
>>than other PowerVR devices I have seen like the Nokia N900 where
>>closed-libraries are required even for 2D (libraries like libpvr2d.so and
>>libsrv_um.so)
>I wouldn't say they are required, on SHR they are not required.
>
>however the n900 is very badly supported in SHR(no one works on it, I could
>work on it but I think the gta04 is more important...so I work on gta02 and
>gta04 currently).
>also the n900 has:
>* a non-free signed bootloader
>* a working GPS is attached to the modem.
>
>Denis.
>_______________________________________________
>Gta04-owner mailing list
>Gta04-owner at goldelico.com
>http://lists.goldelico.com/mailman/listinfo/gta04-owner
>-------------- next part --------------
>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>URL: <http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/attachments/20120211/9ab98805/attachment-0001.html>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 7
>Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 20:20:15 +0100
>From: Christoph Mair <christoph.mair at gmail.com>
>To: List for communicating with real GTA04 owners
>       <gta04-owner at goldelico.com>
>Subject: Re: [Gta04-owner] Some questions about the GTA04A4
>Message-ID:
>       <CAHvJMeGX8ZL8YcHytazud=TzbJgdGn1x8Of7mSSUFpZ0pNq4QA at mail.gmail.com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
>On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Jonathan Wilson <jfwfreo at tpgi.com.au> wrote:
>> 2.Which model PowerVR GPU does the GTA04A4 contain? What is the status of
>> drivers for it? Will it be like every other PowerVR mobile device in
>> existence and rely on binary userland libraries for the GPU or has the GTA04
>> team found a way to produce an open source 3D driver for the GPU somehow?
>
>We (the GTA04 core team) do not have the ressources to reverse
>engineer the PowerVR driver.
>I got the binary driver working for the framebuffer, Xorg support is
>still pending. But if you don't want it, there is no need to use it to
>get a usable GUI.
>
>> and 3.Are there any other binary bits required for the hardware in the
>> device? (e.g. binary bits for the GPS or for WiFi/Bluetooth configuration as
>> seen on many other smartphones)
>
>The WiFi/BT chip needs a binary firmware, but there is a project which
>aims to replace it: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Thinfirm_1.5
>I tried their latest code a few month ago and I could load the driver
>and scan for networks but I did not get a reliable connection. It may
>be possible to fix the remaining issues to get a working and free
>firmware.
>
>Of course we would be happy if someone points us to a WiFi module
>which runs without closed firmware. :)
>
>Regards,
> Christoph
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 8
>Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 21:21:25 +0100
>From: "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com>
>To: List for communicating with real GTA04 owners
>       <gta04-owner at goldelico.com>
>Subject: Re: [Gta04-owner] Some questions about the GTA04A4
>Message-ID: <B6F022D0-9574-4951-9338-FC3D5FCE2F36 at goldelico.com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>
>Am 11.02.2012 um 20:20 schrieb Christoph Mair:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Jonathan Wilson <jfwfreo at tpgi.com.au> wrote:
>>> 2.Which model PowerVR GPU does the GTA04A4 contain? What is the status of
>>> drivers for it? Will it be like every other PowerVR mobile device in
>>> existence and rely on binary userland libraries for the GPU or has the GTA04
>>> team found a way to produce an open source 3D driver for the GPU somehow?
>>
>> We (the GTA04 core team) do not have the ressources to reverse
>> engineer the PowerVR driver.
>> I got the binary driver working for the framebuffer, Xorg support is
>> still pending. But if you don't want it, there is no need to use it to
>> get a usable GUI.
>>
>>> and 3.Are there any other binary bits required for the hardware in the
>>> device? (e.g. binary bits for the GPS or for WiFi/Bluetooth configuration as
>>> seen on many other smartphones)
>>
>> The WiFi/BT chip needs a binary firmware, but there is a project which
>> aims to replace it: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Thinfirm_1.5
>> I tried their latest code a few month ago and I could load the driver
>> and scan for networks but I did not get a reliable connection. It may
>> be possible to fix the remaining issues to get a working and free
>> firmware.
>>
>> Of course we would be happy if someone points us to a WiFi module
>> which runs without closed firmware. :)
>
>And very important:
>
>* is small (max. 12 x 12 x 2 mm)
>* combined with Bluetooth (we have no space to add a separate bluetooth module)
>* and easy to source in low quantities (MOQ 10k does not help)
>* at low price (50 EUR for a module is too expensive)
>* will be available for some more months
>
>All modules we know that don't need some closed firmware fail at least
>in one of these conditions. But we don't know everything in this complex
>world :)
>
>Nikolaus
>
>------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>Gta04-owner mailing list
>Gta04-owner at goldelico.com
>http://lists.goldelico.com/mailman/listinfo/gta04-owner
>
>
>End of Gta04-owner Digest, Vol 14, Issue 27
>*******************************************
>

_______________________________________________
Gta04-owner mailing list
Gta04-owner at goldelico.com
http://lists.goldelico.com/mailman/listinfo/gta04-owner
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/attachments/20120211/0dc85e73/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Gta04-owner mailing list