[Gta04-owner] Some questions about the GTA04A4

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Feb 11 21:21:25 CET 2012

Am 11.02.2012 um 20:20 schrieb Christoph Mair:

> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Jonathan Wilson <jfwfreo at tpgi.com.au> wrote:
>> 2.Which model PowerVR GPU does the GTA04A4 contain? What is the status of
>> drivers for it? Will it be like every other PowerVR mobile device in
>> existence and rely on binary userland libraries for the GPU or has the GTA04
>> team found a way to produce an open source 3D driver for the GPU somehow?
>
> We (the GTA04 core team) do not have the ressources to reverse
> engineer the PowerVR driver.
> I got the binary driver working for the framebuffer, Xorg support is
> still pending. But if you don't want it, there is no need to use it to
> get a usable GUI.
>
>> and 3.Are there any other binary bits required for the hardware in the
>> device? (e.g. binary bits for the GPS or for WiFi/Bluetooth configuration as
>> seen on many other smartphones)
>
> The WiFi/BT chip needs a binary firmware, but there is a project which
> aims to replace it: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Thinfirm_1.5
> I tried their latest code a few month ago and I could load the driver
> and scan for networks but I did not get a reliable connection. It may
> be possible to fix the remaining issues to get a working and free
> firmware.
>
> Of course we would be happy if someone points us to a WiFi module
> which runs without closed firmware. :)

And very important:

* is small (max. 12 x 12 x 2 mm)
* combined with Bluetooth (we have no space to add a separate bluetooth module)
* and easy to source in low quantities (MOQ 10k does not help)
* at low price (50 EUR for a module is too expensive)
* will be available for some more months

All modules we know that don't need some closed firmware fail at least
in one of these conditions. But we don't know everything in this complex
world :)