[Gta04-owner] /dev/ttyHS3 renames after resume to /dev/ttyHS6

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Fri Feb 10 19:01:41 CET 2012

Hi,

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:46:36 +0100
Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
> i found a problem with modem serial device. Probably after suspend/resume the
> device node is renamed from /dev/ttyHS3->/dev/ttyHS6 and i cant send AT
> commands then. Attached is dmesg output, you can search for ttyHS6 to find the
> place.
>
> These are all /dev/ttyHS before suspend:
>
> 	ttyHS0  ttyHS1  ttyHS2  ttyHS3  ttyHS4  ttyHS5
>
> and this is how it looked after resume:
>
> 	ttyHS0  ttyHS1  ttyHS2  ttyHS4  ttyHS5  ttyHS6
>
> This is with kernel 3.2 and i have udev running on my system (could it be the
> problem?)

I have seen the problem very often with various usb serial devices. You open it,
then you remove the device and if you do not close it, the new device
will have a higher number. So if close the device before you reconnect it,
there will be no renumbering.

But if you close it afterwards and then replug the device, the normal
numbering will reoccur.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade