[Gta04-owner] GTA04 voice routing now working!

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Wed Feb 8 08:48:26 CET 2012

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 08:21:33 +0100 Butrus Damaskus <butrus.butrus at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:23 PM, NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 18:27:18 +0100 Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> here is the patch (changes picked up from the 2.6.32 patch).
> >> See also the thread about "nothing on usb bus"
> >>
> >> Greetings
> >> Andreas Kemnade
> >
> > Thanks.
> > I've added this to my '3.2-gta04' branch of git://neil.brown.name/gta04
> > along with the fix for the touch screen.
> >
> > I've also made sure it will be in the next 'merge' release based on 3.3-rcXX
> >
> > If anyone is wondering what the story is with 3.3-rc - it is a sad story so
> > far.
> > I have working code (which I can push out if anyone cares), but power usage
> > has gone way up - about 130mA idle instead of below 100mA, and it doesn't
> > reliably suspend - and when it does appear to suspend it doesn't really
> > decrease power usage.  So there are problems we need to find and fix.
> > I don't expect 3.3-rc3 to be a whole lot better but I'll probably push what I
> > have out then just for completeness.
>
> Do You have an idea what is the reason (are the reasons) for such a regression?

Almost certainly some clock not being gated or turned off... because it is
mostly clocks that use power.

Early in boot I see:

[    0.173675] omap_hwmod: usbtll_fck: missing clockdomain for usbtll_fck.

tll == transceiverless link logic
So I think that is the main clock for the USB bus.  It isn't configured properly
in some way so maybe it isn't being turned off.

'fck' is the function clock (as opposed to ick - interface clock).

This might be significant if it is new (I haven't checked it is there with
3.2).

There have been significant changes to power management in the serial driver
and the USB driver and probably other drivers.  I know the serial driver is a
bit of a mess, but I know what to do to fix it and I don't think it is the
main problem.

The OMAP code has data structures representing all the clocks and whether
they are enabled or not.  Unfortunately that info isn't exported
in /sys/kernel/debug/ like some other similar info is.  Maybe exporting it
would help see what is happening.

When I do suspend and then resume I get message like:

[  180.352264] Powerdomain (mpu_pwrdm) didn't enter target state 1
[  180.358459] Powerdomain (neon_pwrdm) didn't enter target state 1
[  180.364715] Powerdomain (dss_pwrdm) didn't enter target state 1
[  180.370910] Powerdomain (per_pwrdm) didn't enter target state 1
[  180.377075] Powerdomain (core_pwrdm) didn't enter target state 1
[  180.383361] Powerdomain (usbhost_pwrdm) didn't enter target state 1
[  180.389923] Could not enter target state in pm_suspend

Not always the same set of powerdomains. I think have seen it where only mpu,
core, and usbhost didn't reach '1'.
The fact that they didn't enter the request power state almost certainly
means some clocks are still active.

[ 0 is 'off'
  1 is 'ret'  - retention.  Power applied but little current drawn
  2 is 'inactive' - all the clocks are off but otherwise all on
  3 is 'on'
]

NeilBrown