[Gta04-owner] Linux 3.7 for gta04 "ARM architectures can use one single vanilla Linux kernel"

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Wed Dec 26 20:48:45 CET 2012

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 13:10:36 +0100 Glenn <glenn.mh.dk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/12/12 05.52, NeilBrown wrote:
> > Now that 3.7 is out, my 'mainline' branch in
> >    git://neil.brown.name/gta04
> >
> > has a 3.7 based kernel that seems to work on the gta04.
> >
> > I say "seems to" because I don't seem to charge the battery and there are
> > possibly other things that don't work - I've only done limited testing.
> >
> > I've included the "f2fs" filesystem in this release as I think it is
> > something worth experimenting with on uSD cards.  I plan to move my root
> > filesystem to f2fs once I'm happy that 3.7 is stable.
> >
> > I don't recommend using this as the base for a distro as it isn't tested much
> > and I plan do do some development work on.  When I think it is stable and
> > decide to leave it alone for a while and create a 3.7-gta04 branch to hold it.
> >
> > I might push to to github too, but neil.brown.name now has much better
> > network connectivity so you should have no problems using it directly.
> >
> > Bug reports, success report, patches etc etc always welcome.
> >
> > NeilBrown

> Will we (GTA0x-owners) also benefit from this?:

Not much.  This is mainly of interest to distros - it means they can have a
single uImage that boots on multiple different platforms.

I guess it might allow us to have one uImage that boots on both GTA04 and
GTA02, but seeing that neither of them work with a pure mainline kernel
anyway, there is a lot of work to do before that becomes at all interesting.

And yes: a 64bit ARM in a future mobile phone sounds cool - though I doubt
64bits would  bring any real value for a while.  You really only notice if
you have lots of memory (> 4GB) or need to work with large data sets, neither
of which are typical use cases for a phone (yet).

NeilBrown