[Gta04-owner] QtMoko mic volume

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Fri Aug 24 20:43:43 CEST 2012

Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> writes:

> On Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:50:07 AM Neil Jerram wrote:
>
>> - the overrun and underrun logs look as though they might be the
>>   culprit.
>
> IIRC these are quite normal. The voice routing is started before the call is
> connected and at this time there are no data from UMTS mic.

Thanks, that's good to know,

> You can also experiment with aplay/arecord to check if all the parts
> (earipiece, mic, umts mic/playback) work ok. The commands are here[1].
>
> Too bad i gave away my A3 ;-( Cant help you much more without it.
>
> Regards
>
> Radek
>

> [1] http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/page/Wireless/

I tried a couple more things in gsm-voice-routing.c.

First, I took out the echo cancellation, in case it was the problem.
That made no difference.

Then, I added debugging to check that the mic capture buffer had sound
in it - and it does.

Next, after a lot of thinking and googling, I noticed Andreas Kemnade's
kernel patch for A4 HW routing [1], and wondered if it could cause a
problem for the A3 SW routing (in particular "disables mcbsp4_dx") ...

[1]
https://github.com/radekp/linux-2.6/commit/f43ce5c444de7db988ad214257f4a6ac0e49308d

NeilB's 3.2-gta04 branch doesn't have that patch, so I pulled and
rebuilt that, thinking that it would be a simple replacement for the
QtMoko kernel.

However, after installing that kernel and its modules, now my boot
doesn't complete...

There are 2 identical uImage files in QtMoko: one on the VFAT partition,
and one at /boot in the rootfs.  My first guess was to replace both of
those with the new uImage.  After that the phone started booting but
skipped the SD/NAND selection screen, and went to a screen with small
Tux in the top left corner.  After that nothing more happened, and
plugging in the USB cable wasn't recognised by my laptop.

Then I thought maybe I should only replace the uImage in the QtMoko
rootfs, so I put the VFAT uImage back as it was before.  Now, when the
phone boots, I get the SD/NAND selection screen, and choose SD as
usual.  After that I get the screen with small Tux, and nothing else -
same as above.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
        Neil