[Gta04-owner] Making sense of the sensors.

Benjamin Deering ben_deering at swissmail.org
Thu Aug 9 02:12:54 CEST 2012

I played a bit with valacompass on GTA04.  Libsensmon would need a
BMA150 module for tilt compensation to work, but I commented out the
accelerometer code in my build.

The hmc5843 driver for the latest SHR kernel has the sysfs files in a
different place.

I changed .Sensmon/config to include:
[Hmc5843Source]
device=/sys/bus/i2c/devices/2-001e/iio:device0

The sysfs file 'rate' seems to have changed to sampling_frequency.

X,Y,and Z values come from separate files.  I'm not a vala programmer,
but I can send what I did to get them.

I had to adjust in_magn_range to get the Y axis to show anything but -4096.0

I don't know how important the tilt compensation is, but with all my
changes the needle in valacompass does not point north.  The direction
it points seems to change when I rotate the phone, but it is very
noisy.  I think there is some interference from the speaker magnets as I
was able to get a reading on the Y axis without adjusting the range if I
brought a magnet near the phone.  I have Slyon's 3d printed speaker box
and 2 speakers, maybe those with a single speaker will have different
results.

Ben