[Gta04-owner] GTA04A4 Group Tour - next steps

xdrudis xdrudis at tinet.cat
Fri Apr 6 22:34:15 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 09:19:08AM +0200, Radek Polak wrote:
> On Friday, April 06, 2012 12:42:36 AM Neil Jerram wrote:
>
> > That's nice.  But I'd still prefer the same as a native app.  With the
> > web approach, how do any required dependencies get installed?
>
> This is not done yet and i plan it for next qtmoko release. It should work
> similar to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThirdPartyApt
>
> In short - dont install .deb but add repository and call apt-get update &&
> apt-get install.
>
> That way you can also easily install updates (apt-get update && apt-get
> upgrade) and it also solves the dependency problem.

You surely know more of what you're talking about than me, but
mixing repositories has maintanability concerns for the future,
and I don't feel comfortable with automatising it.
I'm just not sure enough that packages from different repositories
will always stay synchronized enough, won't create conflicts or
missed dependencies.

I guess it must mirror the experience with an application store,
but it misses the integration provived by a team of distribution
developers. I guess application stores get away with it thanks to
strict APIs, contractual rules and reserving rights to override
software and configurations, but I don't see all this as a good
bargain.