[Gta04-owner] GTA04A4 Group Tour - next steps

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Thu Apr 5 01:28:14 CEST 2012

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 16:10:34 +0200 Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 04, 2012 02:09:42 PM NeilBrown wrote:
>
> > To make an app shop work you would really need to choose one platform.
> > Would that be qtmoko? or FSO? or KDE plama? Android?
>
> I'd mix them all together ;-) Maybe adding some filter for distro specific.

I would suggest that if you had multiple platforms (distros) then an
appropriate platform filter should be the default.  I think the idea is the
make it more accessible to more naive users and confusing people with options
they cannot choose is not a good idea.

And presumably some apps could be multi-platform..

> It would be nice if distros could provide easy way how to install these apps
> from shop - e.g. one click in browser.

that should be easy enough: just set up a default handler for a particular
MIME type.
Managing and uninstalling might be more of a challenge, but is just as
important.

> > However having a 'store' where people could show-off their apps and others
> > could vote and comment might be of some value.
>
> I like this idea. It would be nice we had central place where you can find
> every possible application for GTA04. Something like opkg.org was.
>
> I personally don't like paying for applications. Giving donations is IMO
> better. E.g. Indie Huble Bundle's are successful example how it can work.

I agree.
I don't want to pay to get the full version - because it may well not be
worth it.  But if it is, I may be very comfortable paying to encourage
further development.

NeilBrown