[Gta04-owner] [SPAM] Re: GTA04A4 Group Tour - next steps

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Apr 4 19:38:32 CEST 2012

Am 04.04.2012 um 14:22 schrieb Xavi Drudis Ferran:

> But I think if possible it would bring more users to buy the hardware, because
> these distributions already have a user base. Just install your distro in this phone
> and add this phone metapackage, or whatever.

Another thought on this.

Currently we preinstall the hw-testing image since we need
it anyways. So the device boots a preconfigured Debian/LXDE.

So my dream would be that you just add the qtmoko repositories
(or they are even preconfigured) and you do a

	apt-get remove lxde && apt-get install qtmoko

to switch.

This partially works, but is far from optimally solved. The reason
is that the hw-validation is still on the 2.6.32 kernel and QtMoko
makes many assumptions about the kernel and consequently
comes with its own kernel.

But for hw-testing the 3.2-kernel is lacking some features.

So it is still some work and time until we can do the full hw-testing on
a mainline kernel and QtMoko is "just" a set of user space
packages that can be installed or removed...