[Gta04-owner] GTA04A4 Group Tour - next steps

Sven Dyroff S.Dyroff at phytec.de
Wed Apr 4 14:10:11 CEST 2012

>> We should be careful here. "The spirit of a free phone" should IMHO
>> not include non-free applications. I have nothing against an
>> application store so that users can easily browse for a software
>> package, and with a click or two have that package downloaded,
>> verified, and installed, all for some price. But that software should
>> be free software as well.
>
> I agree.  A nice application to install *free* software on the phone,
> perhaps with reviews and other niceties, maybe even the facility to make
> donations, would increase the phone's appeal to non-technical users.
> However, irrespective of the freedom of the software, I think this is an
> issue for distributions to attack in their own way.

I also agree.

a) As I already mentioned I've learned not to trust any stuff on a
smartphone that is not open source. Data on your smartphone are one of the
most private you have and therefore they're most wanted by others who want
to exploit them for making money or for other reasons. But contrary to a
PC where you have the option to power on an external router to the
internet only on demand and to monitor this connection with the LEDs of an
hub or an switch, this device is unsupervised online mostly all the time.

b) I think it's a good idea to have the possibility not only to make
ratings (like: "AppXYZ - 5 points"...) but also to make donations. But not
only for apps. I suggest to offer this possibility also for the
distributions. So for example how can someone donate to Radek for all his
great work on QtMoko? I don't think it would be a good idea if Radek posts
the data of his banking account on this list...

Sven