[Gta04-owner] Status GTA04 EA

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Sep 19 09:13:21 CEST 2011

> Hi all,
> let me give another update on the project status:
>
> 1. USB-OTG is now working (after we removed the USB1.0
> compatible ESD protection chip). The typical ping time in
> ethernet gadget mode is 0.3 ms

It is much easier to develop new software/kernels if USB works :)
One just has to scp uImage root at 192.168.0.202:/boot and reboot.

But to make that really work, we had to fix an issue of the TI OMAP
musb kernel driver where it appears that the DMA controller of the
DM3730 is slightly different from the DMA controller of the OMAP3530
(BeagleBoard C).

The funny result was that Ethernet Gadget connections with 1+4*n
bytes packet size were not transmitted. I.e. ping -s 21 192.168.0.202
failed to respond. Fortunately, ssh appears to use an internal buffer
with constant size. But a wget could simply hang after 76% success...

We have found a Kernel Konfig that solves this issue. Most likely, the
3.1-Kernel will have solved it fundamentally.

> 2. The integration of the McBSP interface into ALSA works.
> Rene was able to record a phone call using arecord.
>
> 3. Production of the remaining EA boards is now scheduled
> for next Monday. I will try to make another video recording.

Now I have are a little more precise schedule: they start today with the
bottom side of the PCB (the Display side) and on Wednesday they do
the top side (where processor, modules etc. are). This is where I will
try to make a new video. After that, they will clean everything and
do the manual fixes. So I expect that we will get them on Friday - and
can test them over the weekend...

In the meantime, I have fixed an issue in the touch screen driver
with pressure calculation (which had an integer overflow). It now
works quite well, but sometimes shows a small jitter (1-2 pixels).
This is an area for further study.

What else is new?

1. Rene has set up a blog (German language) for tips and tricks:

	gta04.relei.de

2. And, we have a new preconfigured rootfs that is based Debian Squeeze:

	http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20110918-GTA04A3-squeeze-lxde/

3. David has experimented with the QtMoko rootfs of the GTA02 and
it appears to boot!

4. FSF is interested in removing the non-free libertas firmware from the
rootfs. So they suggested to put it into a small MCU. If you are interested,
please read the project proposal and apply:

	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/page/FirmwareInjector/

An alternative could be to write an open firmware stack for the
Marvell WiFi chip. This was already discussed by OLPC some years
ago and they have collected some material, but it wasn't finished.

5. Finally, the system manual is almost complete so that we can put it on
the servers soon.

But despite all this progress, don't worry - there will be enough
areas for experimentation and your participation :)