[Gta04-owner] gta04 specific irc channel?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Oct 26 10:58:20 CEST 2011

Oops,
this was an unintended example why a mailing list isn't perfect from
a technical point of view. I can't delete an empty mail sent by accident.
And usually, search is more difficult than in a Forum.

Regarding chatting: nowadays delivery on a mailing list is fast and
can be (mis?)used for chatting as well.

So the most important thing is how we communicate and all these
technologies are means for doing it. Each one has some benefits
over the other but the core function is to bring people together who
share a common interest.

But these groups aren't homogenous either. Some would prefer to
discuss/chat in their mother language. Others want to discuss about
specific sub-topics (kernel variants, case design etc.). So I think there
is no "single place" to discuss everything people want to discuss.

My conclusion is that the best approach is to offer all relevant technical
means (mailing list, forum, IRC etc.). And useage patterns will show
what is really important.