[Gta04-owner] Status GTA04 EA

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Oct 3 11:36:48 CEST 2011

Hi Neil,

Am 03.10.2011 um 10:40 schrieb Neil Jerram:

> On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 10:24:18 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
>> We prefer to provide a working system as soon as possible, even if it has
>> some non-free components instead of discussing for years that a 100% free
>> system should be achieved, but never comes to existence :) Or crippling down
>> the feature set. Therefore my personal preference over the FSF-Injector idea
>> would be that some team is founded to write a free and open replacement for
>> the Marvell firmware BLOB.
>
> Are you saying that you would like to found and lead that team, or that you hope that someone else will?

Running this project in addition to hardware and kernel development is
simply beyond our (and my) capabilities (timewise and background knowledge).

And, I think others could also be interested, who are not related to the GTA04
project at all (e.g. Gumstix Overo, OLPC). So it needs to be run by some
different community.

> FWIW I'd be interested in helping with this; but I couldn't lead the effort, as I have no idea where to begin.

That would be great!

To simplify the "where to begin", I have added some links to the project request
page:

	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/page/FirmwareInjector/