[Gta04-owner] Status of Production of the GTA04A3-EA boards

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri May 20 12:13:49 CEST 2011

Am 19.05.2011 um 16:39 schrieb WB:

> --- On Thu, 19/5/11, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>>> Once again, thanks for the update. With every update
>> the result seems closer!
>>
>> Should I now write hourly updates to speed up making the
>> result come closer?
>>
> Nah, hourly updates would leave too much time for you to work on something more material... ;-)

Ok,

now here is the material update on Stencil and Production after I did
conference with the SMD company.

Yesterday, I thought I make a joke, but we indeed miss
one 1ct component: a 499k Ohm is required and we did
have 499 Ohm... A small but important difference.

We also did review the stencil and it looks fine. It will be ordered
today and it will be finished by Wednesday. Laser cutting a Stencil
is much simpler than making a PCB.... So the SMD company
thinks they are ready to start to build the first 2 boards by end of
next week.

BTW: the Freerunner Navigation Board V3 shares the same stencil,
so that it will be produced in the same time frame.

These two first boards are for our internal tests and therefore will be
populated with OMAP3530 (600 MHz) and the same memory
chip as on the BeagleBoard. This is to have exactly the
same environment as on the BeagleBoard and the GTA04A2
reference. And, these two boards will not get the UMTS module.

As soon as we receive them from production, they will be tested.
Especially the USB Interface to the UMTS module. These will be
retrofitted if everything looks ok and then we will see how good
the device is inside a Freerunner case.

If this all works (or can be fixed), we can start to produce the
DM3730 version you are all waiting for.

So we are again coming a little closer to a GTA04 for everyone!

The next big work package is mass production and we
are planning and checking things. Just to mention some
topics we think about:

* Component Availablity: some simple parts, a transistor (Fairchild
FDJ1027P) and an inductor (TDK FLF3215T-1R0N) have silently
become End-Of-Life. I.e. we can order some remaining stock and/or
participate in a Last Call but for the future we will have to redesign the
PCB a little. The transistor is part of the charging unit (USB) and
the inductors are part of the DC/DC converters...

Also, the Hirose connector for the LCD module currently has
a long delivery schedule. But it is not (yet?) marked as EOL.

Generally, we can either stock enough components (they are
not very expensive) or start a redesign...

* FCC Approval. We have studied how that generally works and
it turns out to be a major work package. Much more work than
for CE / R&TTE.

A lot of paperwork has to be done and several handful of
measurements have to be prepared and documented. This
means we have to write special test software to bring the system
into a defined state. Maybe, we can add this as optional U-Boot
command or add some special test mode.

But this costs a lot of time and money (external lab).

Therefore, the GTA04 mass market version will initially not
be available outside the EU until we have enough budget to
do this. Regrettably. But we will work on this. And could need
help if someone has experience with this process.

-- Nikolaus