[Gta04-owner] GPS receiver and Glonass/Galileo

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Dec 8 22:40:13 CET 2011

Hi Alexander,

Am 08.12.2011 um 17:37 schrieb Alexander Lehner:

> Nikolaus,
>
> How is it about the GPS chip on the GTA04 and newer GPS systems like Glonass and Galileo? Can it support it?

No. This is too new that we can get it in off-the shelf components. Unfortunately.

> As I read today, the russian GPS system seems to be online since today and Gallileo said they would be ready in 2013(?).
>
> German article on heise news:
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/GPS-Alternative-Glonass-nimmt-weltweiten-Betrieb-auf-1392497.html
>
> As the article says, it is also a hardware question to receive those new satelite systems, and currently only two phones (iPhone 4S and Motorola Razr) can handle this.

As far as I know it is more an issue of firmware - and hardware only to the extent that the chips must be prepared for the frequencies and modulation schemes. I guess the handful of vendors of such modules will try to be the first to offer a new firmware variant.

So I am sure that a multi-mode module will come along our way and as soon as it becomes available and affordable we will replace the current one.

In other words: the long-term strategy is to improve the GTA04 platform (while trying to stay compatible with previous versions as good as possible) to keep pace with the latest developments.