[Fso] FSO EOL?

Dr. Michael Lauer mickey at vanille.de
Mon Nov 27 08:33:19 CET 2017

Hi folks,

> Have you asked Micky about current status of FSO? The website still works.
>
> On Sep 19, 2017 1:14 PM, "joerg Reisenweber" <joerg at openmoko.org> wrote:
> It's a pity how FSO middleware seems to vanish in oblivion. Particularly since
> it's the _only_ decent middleware for embedded/phone I know of. maemo has some
> unstructured organically grown mess instead and that's the only other approach
> I think comes near. Ofono is for modem control only afaik.

There hasn’t been any _new_ development on FSO since about 2012. That said,
the code that is there should more or less still work, might need a bit of polishing
due to Vala changes.

I still believe in the concepts of FSO as a holistic approach to a special-interest
middleware, there’s some good and intense thinking behind it based on the
experience with all kinds of mobile and embedded systems we gained when
working with OpenEmbedded, OpenZaurus, OpenEZX, OpenSIMpad, OpenMoko,
and what not.

I would love to continue working on FSO, but without it being used on an actual
hardware platform, I don’t see much motivation. Also, it needs to be at least somewhat
financially attractive, as these days, I don’t have the luxury anymore to spend
more than just a few hours per week on non-paid work (god, how I miss those
university days…).

That’s my dilemma.

Best regards,

Mickey.