[Fso] independence of FSO daemons

Lukas Maerdian luk at slyon.de
Thu Dec 11 10:47:21 CET 2014

Am 10.12.2014 um 17:30 schrieb Sebastian Reichel:
> Hi,

>>> Full ACK. In fact, it has always been my approach to allow a
>>> cherrypicking of various FSO services while enabling more
>>> services if you take the „full package“ at the same time.

>>> Absolutely. I’m completely supporting that and can’t wait to make it
>>> happen!
>>>
>>> That said, I’m pretty surprised that it doesn’t work for Neil. If I recall
>>> correctly (it has been quite some time), if fsousaged is not present,
>>> then the clients should be enabled / turned on by default.
>>>
>>> We need to sort this out!
>>
>> AFAIK he was using the Debian packages, which might be outdated, have
>> extra patches and usually suffer from outdated/non-optimal configs (in
>> comparison to OE/SHR)...
>>
>> I might be able to help getting a good version of FSO into Debian once
>> there is an improvement. I've already started this effort quite some
>> time ago (see my github) and I also have access to the
>> pkg-fso/git.debian.org repositories.
>
> We are currently in freeze phase @ Debian, so updating the packages
> at the moment is not an option (except to fix bugs and security
> issues). I had a look at the packages before the freeze phase,
> though and upstream changes from 0.12.0 onwards (0.12.0 is in
> testing) didn't look important.
>
> I had to apply some additional patches to get the code working with
> current vala and libgee, though.

Yes, I know and your work is very much appreciated!

My intention was just, that we might get changes/overall FSO
improvements, which arise from the new FSO activity, quickly into Debian
(after the Jessie freeze of course). Because I think it is a very
important platform, especially for the new Neo900 and Pyra devices,
which use the same modem that already has basic FSO support.

BR,
  Lukas