[Fso] independence of FSO daemons

Sebastian Reichel sre at ring0.de
Wed Dec 10 17:30:18 CET 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 09:03:21PM +0100, Lukas Maerdian wrote:
> Am 09.12.2014 um 12:36 schrieb Dr. Michael Lauer:
> >> If FSO sees some activity now, we might have a look at the issues
> >> described in the attached mail by Neil. I think it is very important,
> >> especially for fsogsmd, to be able to run independently.
> >
> > Full ACK. In fact, it has always been my approach to allow a
> > cherrypicking of various FSO services while enabling more
> > services if you take the „full package“ at the same time.
> >

> >> If the FSO daemons could run on kdbus, would only depend on libfsobasics
> >> and would be able to run without runtime dependencies on other FSO
> >> daemons, out of the box, this would be great.
> >
> > Absolutely. I’m completely supporting that and can’t wait to make it
> > happen!
> >
> > That said, I’m pretty surprised that it doesn’t work for Neil. If I recall
> > correctly (it has been quite some time), if fsousaged is not present,
> > then the clients should be enabled / turned on by default.
> >
> > We need to sort this out!
>
> AFAIK he was using the Debian packages, which might be outdated, have
> extra patches and usually suffer from outdated/non-optimal configs (in
> comparison to OE/SHR)...
>
> I might be able to help getting a good version of FSO into Debian once
> there is an improvement. I've already started this effort quite some
> time ago (see my github) and I also have access to the
> pkg-fso/git.debian.org repositories.

We are currently in freeze phase @ Debian, so updating the packages
at the moment is not an option (except to fix bugs and security
issues). I had a look at the packages before the freeze phase,
though and upstream changes from 0.12.0 onwards (0.12.0 is in
testing) didn't look important.

I had to apply some additional patches to get the code working with
current vala and libgee, though.

-- Sebastian