[Tinkerphones] Strategies for sustainable phones

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Mar 21 17:51:13 CET 2022

Hi Paul,
for e-paper displays Andreas has worked a lot on improving and trying to
upstream the epdc driver for i.MX6.

And we have Letux OS and kernels running on some Kobo / Tolino readers.

Yes, they are not at all power hungry... So they can potentially be used as
a basis for "dumb smartphones" :)

With that I mean reduced in some aspects (display colors, lack of high speed
video capabilities) but full power (e.g. memory capacity giving flexibility of
standard Linux) in others.

Technology is available (e.g. chips, pcb design, radio modules, displays, software).
Maybe also people wanting to pay for it as your crowd-funding examples seem
to demonstrate. What is lacking is some group willing to work on something.
And some leader wanting to make it a success.