[Tinkerphones] Dual personality systems (was Re: ZeroPhone site offline)

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Sat Jan 8 22:17:22 CET 2022

On Wed Jan 5 01:28:49 CET 2022, Paul Boddie wrote:

> Actually, a kind of dual personality system might address some of the
> general issues with vanilla Linux on smartphones, and I suspect that Linux
> alongside real-time components is a recognised architectural style for some
> kinds of devices.

Since various SoCs started to include smaller cores along with the bigger,
more powerful ones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE) it makes
me wonder if it wouldn't be possible to run a lightweight telephony-focused
stack on the low power core while running full-fat Linux on the high power
core.

That way, the Linux side of things wouldn't even need to be aware of how the
telephony is done, and could interact with those components using more
familiar mechanisms, perhaps similar to ways two hosts on a network might
talk to each other.

David