[Tinkerphones] OT: Banking in Germany (was: Strategies for sustainable phones)

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Sep 21 19:22:22 CEST 2019

> Am 21.09.2019 um 19:14 schrieb Martin <debacle at debian.org>:
>
> On 2019-09-21 15:48, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> But the main problem I see (at least here in Germany) is that you can't live
>> without a smartphone with Android or iOS any more, after banks are now requiring
>> that you have a recent smartphone to run their new online banking apps.
>
> Note: I live in Germany and do not own a mobile phone. My bank
> uses the so-called "Sm at rt-TAN plus", where one inserts the bank
> card. It reads some flickering code from the screen and displays
> the TAN. It was less than 12 € in the electronics shop nearby.

Well, yes this works of course. But makes me carry along (and not
have with me when needed) another device. With battery that may
be empty in the wrong moment.

And someone may have more than one bank. Each bank seems to have
a different mix between SMS (mTAN) and some App. Some banks require
you to confirm every login to your bank account.

All this is fine with a modern smartphone if you do not care about
free and open :) And if you don't care to be required by your bank
to carry around a TAN generator.

BTW: this makes me wonder if a TAN generator can be used for tracking
users? Who knows what information it is encoding in the TAN?

> (Btw. my bank is a cooperative, which means, I'm the owner.
> Well, one of more than 2¹⁵ owners...)

Which obviously makes them more client-oriented than others.