[Tinkerphones] magnetic usb plugs

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Oct 7 22:54:56 CEST 2019

> Am 07.10.2019 um 22:40 schrieb Ларионов Даниил <scumcoder at yandex.ru>:
>
> Hello Andreas.
>
> I had exactly the same need as you a couple months ago and searched high and low, spent a lot of time.
> Looks like such connectors are not produced anymore.
>
> --
> Даниил Ларионов
>

> 07.10.2019, 23:09, "Andreas Kemnade" <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> there are some magnetic usb plugs on the market now.

Ah, would be interesting. The first ones were the JAB-NAB ca. 10 years ago
but they are no longer available anywhere (I still have one...).

>> I like them as they
>> prevent accidential excess force to the usb socket.
>> But I have not found mini plugs yet. Has anyone seen such things?

Not that I am aware of.

I tried to build some myself (and for our community) by using two PCBs.
One with round contact pads and the other with pogo pins soldered from
the backside, but the main problem is to fix the magnets and make it
mechanically snap to good positions. The JAB-NAB has 4 of them somehow
fixed in the case and N and S on each end in a way that it can snap in
only one position.

But all this is too big for mini or micro USB.