[Tinkerphones] [Gta04-owner] Problems seem to repeat...

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Sat Dec 7 12:12:08 CET 2019

Hi,

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 08:37:23 +0100

> I just came across:
>
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop/updates/measurements-and-a-hypothesis
>
> So they also ran into unexpected solder bridges which must be X-Rayed. This
> sounds very very familiar to me...
>
> With our experiences collected in the GTA04 project many years ago, I think it
> is easy to fix - if you have enough money or can borrow money to make some
> costly experiments with the production line setup.
>
> But borrowing money requires a business model which promises future revenues.
>
> Without money it needs a lot of creativity and time to replace the missing money.

or buy the technically demanding parts ready made and use things like som boards. Today
the LogicPD torpedo stuff would be interesting to build something like the gta04.
DM3730 + PMIC.
But if you have size restrictions things are getting difficult. And probably
the product will be more expensive.

> Which leads to delay and delay and finally the product is working but obsolete
> and only the brave initial sponsors remain. So there is nobody following up the
> initial funding round.
>
> The rule of thumb in consumer electronics is that there must be a successor
> product (at least an upgraded version) every 1-2 years.
>
> Let's see if Librem 5 can build up a sustainable business (unfortunately I have
> difficulties to believe).

Yes, interesting question. Same question about PinePhone.
The latter one has a lower price at the moment.

Regards,
Andreas