[Tinkerphones] Necunos: NC_1 Shipping Update

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Apr 1 18:49:55 CEST 2019

Well, after previously making remarks about original design manufacturers (or
whatever ODM is supposed to stand for), here is today's news from the Necunos
initiative:

"Now, we have faced yet another obstacle regarding the freedom of software.
One of our critical partners has backed down from the release of the whole
source code to everyone. This puts us in a situation, where our only option is
to rewrite this particular part of Board Support Package ourselves to ensure
complete transparency and openness."

https://necunos.com/news/shipping-news/

I suppose it is a good thing that Necunos realises that withholding the source
code from customers would most likely infringe the copyright of the
developers. But it is unfortunate that people keep having to learn the lesson
of relying on untrustworthy entities that don't respect copyright licences.

Paul