[Tinkerphones] GTA04: TV-out working again!

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Jun 1 23:04:43 CEST 2018

Hi,
although there seems to be not much activity here, there is still progress
with the Letux OS / GTA04 code base. It is neither forgotten nor abandoned :)

I have finally made the TV-out of the GTA04 work again. It did already work long
time ago (I think in 3.12 kernel), but after upgrades to Device Tree we were not
able to catch up with upstream changes and understand them. And to be honest,
TV-out was not on highest priority.

But now I spent some hours and made it working again. Mainly there were typos
in the DT sources we had tried before. E.g.:

>>> &control_devconf1 {
>>> 	pinctrl-name = "default";
>
> ^^^ here is the bug: this property must be called "pinctrl-names".

And after finally recognizing that the video cable was broken overnight
(it was still working yesterday) and adding some "ti,invert-polarity;" the
TVout of the GTA04 works again :)

Quality isn't bad - so switching to a desktop mode (and taking care of
portrait vs. landscape dimensions) is just a matter of easy-to-use
user-space software...

So by connecting to a projector or monitor and adding a keyboard through
USB-OTG or Bluetooth you can easily convert your smart-phone into a desktop
PC with standard Debian inside...

There is no longer an excuse that there is no hardware capable of this...

Kernel and DT and hardware now finally support it. Please note that
I have "backported" the fixes also to the latest 4.16.13 kernel because the
4.17-rc kernels have some other spurious bug on the GTA04A5 boards
we have not yet fixed.

So please dig out your GTA04 and give it a try!

For downloads see: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/

And, please consider donating to support further work on Letux OS,
especially if you want faster progress or new features:

	http://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=Product&product=9602

As you can see nobody is getting rich so that you can imagine that
we do this almost voluntarily:

	http://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%3ADonation

So unless we get big donations to hire professionals, we need volunteers
or continue in slow pace.

Finally, here is a photo (well, I should have initialized the real time clock before :)

BR and have fun,

Dateiname   : DSC00922.jpeg
Dateityp    : image/jpeg
Dateigröße  : 142775 bytes