[Tinkerphones] [Gta04-owner] QtMoko2 again...

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Wed Oct 25 19:32:25 CEST 2017

Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-10-25 17:44:50)
> Back to the original problem: I had not expected that there is a need
> for a configure-make-install. Since we are fully Debian.

How do you mean configure-build-install isn't needed? QtMoko is compiled
code, so will need to be compiled.

> It should even be possible to use apt-source -b - if we have proper
> source packages. So it looks as if the build architecture of QtMoko is
> upside down...
>
> Maybe it is historical since this is still Squeeze and Wheezy code and
> multiarch wasn't complete back then. On Jessie or Stretch I think it
> could be much simpler if the debian/rules are updated.

I believe the reason QtMoko build routines fit badly with Debian style
of packaging is that it does not use existing shared Qt libraries but
instead embeds its own fork of Qt optimized for embedded devices:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_Extended

...but I am a bit puzzled here: I seem to recall you reminding me of
that (after Debian developer Paul Wise initially explained it to me, and
helped me install QtMoko on one of my GTA02 devices - which I didn't use
much because I wanted a *Debian* environment not a "bastard" like that).

 - Jonas