[Tinkerphones] Librem 5

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Wed Oct 25 00:20:09 CEST 2017

Quoting W. Martin Borgert (2017-10-24 22:43:57)
> On 2017-10-24 19:09, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> > Anyone here on this list who pledged for one?
>
> I pledged for the developer board, because I want to be sure,
> that "my" Debian packages will run fine on it. Also, I will try
> to use it as a landline SIP phone and XMPP terminal.
>
> Still, as a mobile device, I find other devices more interesting
> than Librem 5. E.g. ZeroPhone, because it is cheap and simple or
> Pyra, because it has a nice keyboard.
>
> A very good thing about Librem 5 is, IMHO, that it has the
> potential to boost Linux on mobile devices in general. All other
> "non-Android-Linux" devices will benefit from it.

Well put, Martin!

I think I already mentioned here, but in any case: Since 4 months now I
am hired by Purism to help maintain their Debian-based software stack.

Purism aims for high-end devices, and I still see a potential for more
"raw" devices - cheaper and clunkier.  Some find a $1400 Librem laptop
appealing but others prefer a €240 TERES-1 laptop.  I bet it is similar
for phones!

 - Jonas