[Tinkerphones] Librem 5

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Oct 24 22:22:12 CEST 2017

> Am 24.10.2017 um 22:06 schrieb Sebastian Krzyszkowiak <dos at dosowisko.net>:
>
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 9:46 PM, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Am 24.10.2017 um 20:43 schrieb Matthias Weiß <info at codeandcreate.de>:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> i also backed on one.
>>>
>>> I like the cooperation with gnome/kde projects and the focus on matrix.
>>
>> Yes, this are important steps.
>>
>> Gnome/KDE could theoretically just be some
>>
>>        apt-get install gnome
>>
>> on the GTA04. I never had the idea to try:)
>>
>> Probably it will be a little slow and more importantly the applications and widgets
>> are not optimized for the portrait screen format and rather low pixel density.
>>
>> So it will be almost impossible to operate. Unless someone is heavily modifying
>> the code. That seems to be the case with the KDE/Gnome & Purism partnership that
>> they now start to do something.
>
> KDE has had some projects for providing mobile-optimized Plasma UI
> since KDE 4, while GNOME Shell feels like a tablet UI even on the
> desktop. I think both can be used already on some Android phones via
> compatibility layers like libhybris.
>
> The only problem is that both are heavily relying on OpenGL (ES)
> acceleration, and I think that's the main differentiating point
> between GTA04 and Librem 5 when it comes to software support - free
> drivers for GLES on the GPU.

That might indeed make a big difference.

The status for the GTA04 (OMAP3) is that we have a free kernel driver
but it does not work (except for a 3.8 kernel where it works).

Still unsolved are the OpenGL libraries and the microcode blob for the
GPU.

The reverse engineering efforts didn't ever speed up...

> (Plasma should be possible to run without OpenGL with QtQuick's 2D
> renderer that has been open sourced with Qt 5.6 IIRC, but that's
> definitely not a well-supported setup. May be worth some tinkering
> though to check how it works on GTA04 :))

Interesting!

> https://plasma-mobile.org/
>
> BTW. What's the situation with PowerVR closed drivers on GTA04 with
> current kernels? Unfortunately I got slightly out of touch these days,
> time to catch up :)

As said above, the kernel driver exists but does not properly reset
and initialize the PVR. AFAIR the last package by TI was for 3.14
but not for mainline but a TI kernel with additional infrastructure.

We carry along and rebase the code every now and then:

http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/work/letux-base/pvr
http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/work/letux-base/hns/gpu/pvr-v4

but nobody could get it working.

For a Pyra-Phone it would be much better. The SGX544 drivers seem to work.
At least some guys testing the Pyra were able to demonstrate it. I do
not exactly know what they did hack and they were not much interested
to help me learn... Anyways there are Pyra videos of 3D games.