[Tinkerphones] Testers needed for upgrading your GTA04 to U-Boot 2016.11 + Letux-4.10.4 + Debian/LXDE 8.7

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Thu Mar 23 07:40:31 CET 2017

Hi,

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 12:42:44 +0100

> in parallel to trying to handle all the other GTA04 tasks, I have fixed
> some minor issues in kernel, u-boot and rootfs so that we have first release
> candidate for a new production SD image.
>
> A production SD image is used for flashing (unbricking) a GTA04 device.
> The last one [1] was based on kernel 3.12 and Debian Wheezy which wasn't
> bad at all, but did not support the OneNAND of the GTA04A5.
>
> The biggest visual change is that there are some LXDE desktop icons for
> starting Simple-Gsmgui [2] (developed by our commmunity member akemnade),
> Camera Demo (camera driver is not working) and GPS demo (well this is
> not even a demo but full FoxtrotGPS). So it should become possible to
> operate the most basic functions from NAND only.
>
> If you have a little time and want to test/upgrade, please follow
> these instructions and report issues and observations.
>
> Please note that if anything fails you might need the RS232 cable
> and the original production image [1].

well, if anything fails (besides uboot) I will try to boot from another
partition. and fix things over ssh.
To me, having multiboot is one of the most important features of the
gta04.
I do not see any instructions here to have some multiboot system or
replace a single one of the installed systems. I have a partition
specially reserved for some testing systems.
Of course *I* now how to do it but it should be a really well documented
and prepared path.

Regards,
Andreas