[Tinkerphones] Status GTA04A5

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Mar 18 14:31:50 CET 2017

Hi Martin,

> Am 17.03.2017 um 21:23 schrieb Martin Rottensteiner <martin.rottensteiner.list at gmail.com>:
>
> Hi Nikolaus,
>

> But 11 still isn't enough to fulfill all preorders. So there is
> still the big task ahead of doing rework.
>
> This is blocked by not having finished the negotiations with
> the production company.
>
> So there still is a chance that this problem is covered by warranty.

Well, the problem is that in B2B there is no concept of "warranty". Just
negotiations. Ideally one would have negotiated that before starting
but I did never expect such a low yield after they had successfully produced
thousands of OpenPandoras. The 1GHz variant even using exactly the same CPU,
just a different RAM chip. I had expected more problems with the WWAN modules
or a hidden circuit bug. But neither did surface so far. They are electrically
and from software the best GTA04 we ever had.

> Would be great.
> Would you do some more tests in this case before starting a final run?

No, there will be no final run any more. The risk is too high. We did
have ca. 30% yield after first quick repair. And low chances to get it
to 95% by a magical parameter variation.

This means producing more boards makes very likely more scrap (or more
boards to be manually reworked). This would increase production cost per
working board to ca. 300% of the plan. This is far far beyond what we
had planned and I can understand everybody who says: well this is too
expensive for this device (and its features, power, modernity, ...).

So I will only rework (in my spare time) what is already produced and
depicted here:

	https://twitter.com/goldelico/status/834460012919607296

Unless someone does appear who wants to pay for more production experiments.
But the GTA04A5 budget is already overrun.