[Tinkerphones] Possible new Tinkerphone? - Advice on Linux

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jul 31 19:54:52 CEST 2017

Hi Martin,

> Am 31.07.2017 um 18:40 schrieb Martin Rottensteiner <martin.rottensteiner.list at gmail.com>:
>
> Hello List,
>
> I wanted to make you aware of a new hardware production company that has origins from the Maemo community. It is run by Chen Liangchen and the name of the company is Livermorium.
> Until now he started two projects that are not yet finished on indiegogo:
> Keyboard mod for Motorola Z
> Jolla Tablet new production runs (together with a partner).
> It looks like he will soon finish these projects and ship those devices.
>
> His next project is a (modern) device similiar to N950 (Lauta?). He wants to bring his expertise from doing the keyboard into this project.
> The specs are set:
> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1531509&postcount=104 <http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1531509&postcount=104>
> So it is based on qualcomm.

looks interesting. But we know what the challenges are...

The challenges are not designing and showing around something, but getting it through the factory and getting enough people who pay for the end result.
And stabilizing and maintaining the kernel.

> Now he wants advice on the OS for his device. He proposes some flavours of Android and Sailfish OS:
> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1531077&postcount=1 <http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1531077&postcount=1>
>
> In his last post he wants an explanation why he cannot run standard ARM linux on such device: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1531717&postcount=176 <http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1531717&postcount=176>
Hm. I do not completely understand what advice he wants.

> Maybe some of you who have deeper knowledge can share the knowledge some advice that make this device better, maybe even a "tinkerphone".
>
> Chen has excellent (chinese) business partners and is working incredibly fast. So please comment soon...

So if you want to forward him some advice: he should just port and provide a well maintained standard boot loader + kernel (by adding required special drivers to kernel.org) and then people can install everything they like. IMHO there is no need to provide a complete OS. GTA04 comes with a maintained kernel and some Debian/LXDE/XFCE demo. Community members developed QtMoko and Replicant for it. AFAIK, the Neo900 also will only provide hardware plus kernel and others will adapt Maemo/Fremantle.

For the Pyra, there will be something which is called "PyraOS", but technically this is just a preconfigured Debian XFCE4 image with a standard kernel built with a different defconfig. So it is not a separate OS, just a specific blend of existing things to make installation easier and the default installation more useable.

>    Thanks, Martin

BR and thanks,