[Tinkerphones] [Letux-kernel] default for Debian /etc/network/interfaces

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Feb 24 13:30:52 CET 2017

Hi Jonas,

> Am 24.02.2017 um 11:16 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk>:
>
> Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-02-24 08:05:58)
>> Am 23.02.2017 um 22:49 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller
>> <hns at goldelico.com>:
>>> So there is a fresh /e/n/i and /e/n/i.d created and it is set up to
>>> source the /e/n/i.d
>>>
>>> That is fine and like I hoped! So we can provide letux-usb0 or
>>> letux-eth0 network configs for single interfaces so that e.g. USB
>>> networking works out of the box even if you have no GUI.
>>>
>>> Next I will check if that is already a feature of Jessie or was
>>> introduced in Stretch.
>>
>> Ok, here is the result:
>>
>> - Wheezy only creates /e/n/i with "auto lo"
>> - Jessie and Stretch both create empty /e/n/i.d and /e/n/i with only
>>  "source-directory /e/n/i.d"
>
> Those patterns match some work done in postinst script of ifupdown -
> applied if the file does not already exist when ifupdown is installed.
>
> In the past, debian-installer created a custom file.  Not sure if it
> still does, and if maybe conditional to also installing ifupdown.

> ifupdown is no longer the default: netbase 5.4 (released 2 months ago)
> stopped recommending it.
>

>> So it was already introduced in Jessie.
>
> According to its changelog it was introduced in ifupdown 0.7.44
> (2013-08-08).
>
> According to its changelog it was wupported in ifupdown2 since its
> initial release, so should not be a problem if that package (declared as
> providing and replacing ifupdown) automatically gets installed in a
> package upgrade.
>
> Not sure if netscript-2.4 (also potentially auto-replacing ifupdown)
> supports the "source-directory" syntax.
>

>> Since it is very unlikely that anyone still wants to use Wheezy on the
>> GTA04 it will work when using the default for /e/n/i and patching
>> letux interfaces to /e/n/i.d
>
> ...as long as ifupdown or ifupdown2 is installed, yes.

I have checked what my simple debootstrap does and it seems to install
ifupdown by default for wheezy, jessie and stretch. So it appears to
belong to the core packages.

>> Specifically I want to make those interface configs part of the
>> letux-kernel, so that they are maintained in Letux/etc/network and
>> kept in sync with kernel interface naming (this sometimes changed in
>> the past).
>
> If you mean that you will include network setup snippets with a custom
> kernel package, then I recommend that you consider following structuring
> instead, by maintaining network config as a separate package - e.g. to
> ease users switching to another kernel package.

Yes, this would be the best thing. At them moment they are simply merged
with the modules into the deb packages available here:

http://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/letux-4.10/

This is certainly not an ideal situation but a simple one for debugging
and testing.

BR and thanks,