[Tinkerphones] default for Debian /etc/network/interfaces

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Thu Feb 23 17:06:27 CET 2017

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 14:33:33 +0100
Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk> wrote:

> Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-02-23 13:58:23)
> > Hi Jonas,
> > despite the production issues I am working a little on improving
> > our Debian default rootfs for the GTA04.
> >
> > I just found out recently that there is a rarely known capability
> > to define /etc/network/interfaces.d/* files which can be sourced
> > by the master /e/n/i.
> >
> > This would solve the issue that we do a hard overwrite of /e/n/i
> > to configure the usb0 ethernet gadget and real ethernet on boards
> > which have hardware (BeagleBoard XM, PandaBoard, OMAP5EVM) right
> > after building the debootstrap.
> >
> > Instead, we could just add specific config files for the 2 or 3
> > interfaces we have in our letux devices with low risk of overwriting
> > anything else. And if they interfere they can easily be removed.
> >
> > But I could not find the default version of /e/n/i installed
> > during debootstrap to check if it really sources the eni.d.
> > Debian Packages search (on the web) shows no package where it is
> > contained.
> >
> > So how is this file created during debootstrap?
>
> I believe debootstrap does *not* create the
> file /etc/network/interfaces
> - like hosts.conf and a few other core files it need manual creation
> if not using debian-installer.
>
> Also, I believe that file is only used for _some_ networking
> frameworks.
>
>   * ifupdown: uses /e/n/i and /etc/network/interfaces.d/*.d
>   * network-manager: briefly checks /e/n/i for interfaces to ignore.
>   * connman: possibly ignores /e/n/i completely
>   * systemd-networkd: possibly ignores /e/n/i completely
>   * ifupdown2: probably uses /e/n/i - claims to replace ifupdown...
>   * netscript-2.4: not sure - claims to replace ifupdown...
>   * wicd: not sure...
>   * waagent: irrelevant for phones...
>
> ifupdown was used by default in the past, but no more.

Hmm, sounds not good... All sounds like quite complex things.
Does something of these tools.uses another human-readable configfile
and can be told to ignore interfaces?
Well. maybe it is just easiest to have a set of scripts in the future.

If /etc/network/interfaces stays, then I think it would be better to
put g_ether loading somewhere else and add
allow-hotplug usb0
there.

And I do not think that having the
persistent-net-generator.rules
udev script enabled here. If sd cards are swapped that is not helpful.

Regards,
Andreas