[Community] Money: Fuel or futile?

wonderphone at posteo.de wonderphone at posteo.de
Wed May 28 23:23:02 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I still believe it would make sense that the community became a more
formal body and had its own funding base -- apart from the fact that
more money is always good.

Currently, the social interaction in the community is mainly asking
questions to the list and having them answered by Nikolaus and Sebastian
while we are keenly waiting for their devices.

The community being an organization  or a part of it being an
organization would better enable it to agree and express goals and reach
them.

For instance, in order to found a German association (Verein) 7 people
are required. Although we should keep the organization as international
as possible and it does not necessarily need to be a German association,
I would like to take that number as a benchmark. Are there 7 of you who
are interested and would like to start a discussion about it?

I would be hesitant to start the registration too quickly because when
the setup is wrong so many things can go wrong. We really should take
our time to discuss the principles of that organization publicly.
Possible goals could be safeguarding the liveliness of a self-organized
mobile-community and working on ways to improve funding of software
development.

Does it make sense? Thanks for your ideas.

BR
Oliver