[Community] Neo900 - Project

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon May 19 06:53:31 CEST 2014

Hi,

Am 16.05.2014 um 20:21 schrieb wonderphone at posteo.de:

> Thank you for your optimistic words but I can't help for the moment
> - it feels like bad news.
>
> Am 16.05.2014 13:14 schrieb Sebastian Krzyszkowiak:
>> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
>> <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>>> Such things happen in business. And sometimes it opens up better
>>> solutions than before.
>>> BR,
>>> Nikolaus
>

>> So yes, it's a difficult time for the project, especially given the
>> need of paying back the money and the need for donors to trust us once
>> again, but it's not a death sentence. Actually, it may even be a great
>> opportunity to set up organisational stuff in this project just like
>> we intended to do from the very beginning, but we were prevented to
>> due to past mistakes and tax issues.
>> So please cheer up and wish us luck! :)
>
> While I really do not envy Nikolaus for the task of refunding about 300 donors I hope that many use the money to keep OpenPhoenux devices alive.

Well, that is just a matter of well organised work ("think before doing"). Once upon a time, I was loosely involved in a project that had to upgrade firmware of 700000 dumb phones... (before we all had smart phones with over the air download or USB connections). That could only be done by carefully planning each step.

> Although it feels a little early to ask for it, it would be very interesting to know each of your, Nikolaus' and Jörg's, plans and vision for the future path and device(s). Take your time, but then let us know please. What does it mean for the community?

Nothing. The community is much more than a single project and even more than a certain aspect of one of the projects that needs to be reorganised.

The Neo900 project is continuing. Just the way the funding is managed has to be changed. And who has the final word on product specific decisions (like memory capacity, existence of certain features, what to trade off in case we can't get everything etc.).

See it like a server has crashed and a new one has to be set up (but nothing is lost because you have a backup). Most likely you would take the opportunity to do some upgrades and make things better than before.

BTW: one thing that appears to come, is that it becomes possible that the new setup can attract even more potential buyers. To get rid of some limitations GDC has for the list of countries where it is possible to collect money from. This may become even more global in a new setup, but I don't know and have no influence if it comes. But the possibility is in addition to what we had before. So this is a specific example where the solution may be better than before.

So please stay with the community and all projects, including Neo900, GTA04A5 and especially support our software projects like Replicant, QtMoko, GTA04-Kernel.

Maybe, even more interesting projects will emerge from the middle of our community in the future. I think we are always open for that. Proposals welcome!