[Community] phone as keyboard

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 13:35:52 CEST 2014

Hi,

For quite a while I have been thinking about how a keyboard should fit
myself. On the one hand I was leaning towards data-glove+chording-type
for mobile, on the other hand some custom printed ergonomic board with
nice switches and stuff.

Of course it should have some processing power for macros, a variety of
ways to connect to a system (USB and bluetooth come to mind), and
perhaps a small amoled for when programming the macros. The somewhat
mobile idea should connect to the phone (in various incarnations) or to
a PC. I came to think that once the phone is connected, the board itself
does not need a screen or so much processing power.

Finally, I guessed the phone could perhaps offer itself as a
bluetooth-keyboard to a PC (after receiving input from the actual
keyboard). Extending that, I thought one could use "some old Freerunner
lying around somewhere" as a keyboard to a GTA04, using an onscreen
keyboard.

Has anyone experience using the phone as a keyboard for another system?
(I did use my Freerunner as a mouse, but because of the diagonal
placement of the accelerometer it was difficult to use..)

Best regards,

Boudewijn